Thursday, December 31, 2009
Due to popular demand...
The official awarded run route will the 23 miles from Dyersville to Durango. However, we will time and recognize you for the following two additional options:
1. Full Marathon 26.2 miles
2. Ultra Marathon 50K (32 miles)
Both of these routes are out and back on Heritage Trail the longest being the 50K ultra will take you just past the Sageville Trailhead at Highway 52.
You will be allowed to resupply and receive support at the Durango Handle Bar (race headquarters) before heading back out.
Thanks to MrDaveyGie a nice map of heritage trail can be found here (i learned a couple things from the annotation): HeritageTrailMap (note: Click on Show to see a profile - disregard the spikes as these are not accurate.
at 9:56 AM
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
This year is shaping up to be a banner year for Triple D: Great trail conditions for all even standard mountain bikes, runners and skiers.
10 day forecast looks great (unlike the last two years) with mild temps in the high teens to low 20’s and only a 20% chance of new precipitation except for today’s 1-3” which will be well packed again by this weekend.
There are still some rooms available at the Grand Harbor Waterpark and Resort, if you have already booked a room make sure it was put under our block, you can email email@example.com to get your room added to the block. They are still taking reservations under the Triple D Winter Race.
Get your entries in ASAP, they are due by Jan 4th. So far it looks like we will be at about the same numbers as last year – about 50 racers, however, this is the year to race as the my guess is that all the runners and skiers will finish and over half the bikers will finish as the trails are in primo condition.
Why Triple D?
1. Choose your winter discipline (run, hike, ski, bike, bike push [jk])
2. Stay in shape over the winter
3. Eliminate cabin fever and depression associated with indoor spin and treadmills
4. Free bar tab at the finish and pizza / canned drinks at the awards ceremony
5. Pub crawl in historic Dubuque after awards
6. Cool snowflake medals for all racers
7. Hand crafted awards for category winners
8. Bragging rights that you competed in the most difficult winter day race in NA
9. Bikers can get their first Dirty Hundy of the year (off-road metric century)
10. Misery loves company (suffer with 50 other cheerful souls)
11. Event headquarters at Dubuque’s indoor waterpark/hotel resort
12. Coincides with Dubuque’s ICEFEST festivities
13. Race with unique individuals from all over the US (racers from NC, FL, MI, MN, WI, IA, IL, MO are already registered)
14. Free sports massages after the race
15. TV and Newspaper coverage
16. Professionally photographed
17. All on closed course (except first 2 miles of bike on historic Dubuque brick streets)
18. Minimal required gear list (flashing lights front and back)
19. Cash lottery (amount depends on race budget – first year was $900, last year was $160 in cash) more racers = more $.
20. All transportation and sag supplied (including limo bus for the runners and skiers)
at 11:01 AM
Monday, December 14, 2009
Thanks to Dave Giegerich's photo... the Triple D (DDD) trails are shaping up, bridges repaired, and a nice packed base of snow, with small refreshments on the way. With only 3 weeks to go, I believe this will be a banner year (knock on wood).
at 7:43 AM
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Registration is now open for the Triple D Winter Race
Snow is in the forecast so timing on this email is perfect! The famous Triple D Winter Race is in its third year, and I’m sure this year will be the year when everyone finishes (sarcasm).
This year’s race will be ran in a similar fashion to the prior years, so browse the prior year’s photos and racer blogs to learn a little more. I’ll be posting information on this year’s Triple D and winter racing on this site every couple of days this month. Also, you can read about the prior years by clicking on the Triple D links on the right hand side.
Important Dates & Times
1. Hotel Reservations under our Group rate at the Grand River Center in Dubuque are due by December 22nd. Please reference “Triple D Winter Race” when making reservations. If you want to share a room let me know and I’ll get you hooked up with other racers. http://www.grandharborresort.com/index.cfm
2. Registration Data (see below) and check to me no later than Jan 4th
3. Race Day Check in / Race Packet pickup at 8-9 am on Jan 9th
4. Prerace Meeting for runners and Skiers 9:15 am on Jan 9th
5. Prerace meeting for Bikers at 9:30 on Jan 9th
6. Race Start 10 AM sharp from Dyersville and Dubuque simultaneously on Jan 9th
7. Recommended finish no later than 10 pm (not mandatory but you’ll miss the free beer, pizza and such)
Name of Participant:
Race Cell Number:
Preferred Category*: Bike Ski Foot
Secondary Category (optional): Bike Ski Foot
* category can be changed on race day, but please mark what you think you will be doing as this helps schedule transportation requirements.
Mail Registration information and $50 check to:
Triple D Race c/o Lance Andre
1735 Eden Lane
Dubuque, IA 52001-4027
at 10:27 PM