Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ouch... Frostbiten racer looses toes... (Not DDD)

http://www.wisn.com/news/15116392/detail.html

News story all over the web and TV today... Guess there was another winter race at the kettles this last weekend... I've already had a couple of co-workers ask me if it was the race I put on. And, I replied... "No" (at least not so far, right Dennis?)

I'm seeing a relation here, Dennis and this guy both had on vapor barrier type socks, starting to wonder about the benefits of this system... is it possible that it works for awhile, but when it fails its catastrophic?

Send, me what you've been using on your feet and hands to avoid the bite. In addition, I may have the cause for Dennis's frostbite (other than being out there for 9+ hours in -6df weather), I have a picture of him downing a double latte in Dyersville before he started the return trip. I've read in some publications that caffeine (I think there’s caffeine in a double latte) can cause the blood vessels to become restricted, and thus not circulate as much warm blood to the extremities...

4 comments:

joker1 said...

I use socks that are called smart wool. they work really well. Also you need to have a looser fitting shoe for movement.
There is a gal in lincoln, neb who sells something called hot legs I believe. Helps the blood flow. you just rub on?
Well we had a good time at the event.
I was missing the conditions of that race day so bad I worked outside last night bare handed just to remember all the fun.
Matthew J. Byrne
River City Promotions
Manson, Iowa

mattonne said...

Smartwool socks are THE best I've found, I wear em in biking in the summer as well,I think the key thing to remember is loose fitting layers that trap warm air, yet let water vapor escape be it on your body or your feet.

Anonymous said...

Lake boots with neoprene boots over top and one pair bike socks worked well for the three hours we managed to stay out.Had chemical warmers along for emergency.Gave one pair to fellow racer early in the race which probably saved his toes.Will wear the same tonight on our weekly Wild Turkey Ride-temps & wind may be worse than DDD!Had great time with great friends,hope you do DDD next year.Z

Neve_r_est said...

Yes, I kept all my digits and they are back to normal color and size. I do have a blister and some numbness left over though.

I did not consume any caffinated beverages during this event, unless you consider the hot chocolate I had in Dyersville a caffinated beverage.

During the race I was using last years model Lake MX 300 winter boots one full metric size larger than my normal cycling shoes, Polartec 300 thermal socks, a vapor barrior, and a set of Fox River liner socks completing the system.

I changed the thermal socks twice, once at Dysersville, and once at Durango on the way back. I did not have a spare set of liner socks with me, at Dyersville they were re-used, at Durango they were removed and I simply used a thicker wool thermal sock in place of the thermal/VB/liner system.

I put in insole heaters on the trail at Graf, and replaced them at Dyersville, and at Durango. I don't believe they were effective in heating or staying put however.

I believe most of the damage was sustained due to stopping to fix flat tires, reusing soaked liner socks, and inneffective footbed heaters. I also believe I could have prevented any damage to my toes by periodically running next to the bike to increase circulation in my feet.

I've been doing alot of research on this since this incident. When I entered the race I was far from unprepared, but there were still a few vital details that could have saved me some pain. I'll have a follow up post on what I've found on my blog soon.

joker1-I think you're talking about Sydney B, she doesn't sell embrocations, but she does advocate the use of them for short race and training efforts. However I would advise against using them for longer events such as this. Embrocations essentially create a chemical reaction on your skin to increase blood flow, hence warming your muscles. However they also tend to make you sweat more and make it harder to sense and adjust your body temp to keep from soaking yourself and chilling.

DG