It’s official I’ve gotten enough responses that the first Dubuque to Dyersville to Dubuque Winter Survival Race (TripleD for short) is on for January 19Th (note: "the 19th" not the other date as seen in prior posts)! I’ll be posting updates and flyers for this event in the days to come… However, below is the critical information that you’ll need to know right now:
Ultra Bike (~60 miles Dubuque to Dyersville and back + some)
Ultra Ski (~48 miles Dubuque to Dyersville and back)
Foot [Run/Ski] (~20 miles Dyersville to Dubuque)
Estimated finish time between 5 - 10 hours.
Please forward this to all that you know who bike, run, ski, snowshoe. This event is more about completing the event than it is a race, but a race it is...
Rules and deadlines:
- Registration with check or money order must be received at least two weeks before event start (by Jan 8th 2008). See Address below.
- Hotel reservations can be made anytime before the event! We have negotiated hotel sponsorship and have a great rate for all… see Hotel Information below. This is a great race to bring the family along to, let them enjoy the resort while you enjoy… well you get the idea. Need to specify that you are with this event to receive the discounted rooms. If you want to share a room send me an email, and i'll get you into a group.
- Entry fee is only $40 for all categories (tandems, if your crazy enough to attempt this is $40 total, if you decide the day of the race to ride singles the other rider must pay $40 – this is the only exception to pre registration).
- There are multiple categories (Bike and Foot [run, snow shoe, ski, etc.]
- The ultra courses will be 48 miles for the skiers and 60+ miles for the bikes. The “short” foot course is ~20 miles.
- No refunds will be allowed. However, you may change categories the day of the race.
- Sign in will be at 10 am on January 19th in the Platinum B suite at the Grand Harbor resort (Dubuque, Iowa) Directions will be posted in the near future (its next to the river boat casino). You will be required to sign a release form at this time. Also, it is recommended that you carry a cell phone, and include this on your release at sign in. We will use these if you go missing from an eta checkpoint.
- Pre race meeting will also be held in the Platinum B suite at 11 am. Bikers, you will then have about 45 min afterwards to get ready. All foot racers (ski, run) will be transported to the “Heritage Trail” Dyersville Trailhead where they will also start at 12:00 noon.
- Race will start at 12 Noon sharp. For the bikers in the parking ramp of the Grand River Center (across the street) from the resort and connected with a sky walk. Runners and Skiers at the respective Trailheads.
- No outside help from anyone except other racers. This means that there are no support crews of any kind. If you take a ride, you are forfeiting your right to finish the race and you must contact race officials to notify us when/where you are dropping out of the race. However, participants are encouraged to help each other. The buddy system is a good way to do this race.
- Any combination of forward motion is allowed (i.e., skiers can run, runners can snow shoe, bikers can push, etc.). No towing/pushing other racers, you can assist them but not in the forward direction.
- No littering (and no stashes). This should be obvious but it is so important to us that we thought we should put it in the rules. Leave no trace. Make use of sanitation facilities provided along the trail (there are a couple of restrooms on Heritage trail and at Dyersville. Bring your own t.p. just incase.
- If you leave the race course for some reason, you must re-enter the course exactly where you left it or notify race officials that you are dropping out as soon as is feasible. Short-cutting the course is not allowed and may be grounds for disqualification, at the discretion of the Race Director.
- Stop at all intersections and obey traffic laws.
- The course will be marked and maps will be provided (compass is recommended, GPS and cycling computers are also allowed - but temperatures may prevent them from working).
- There will be no cut off time! This race is about finishing! However, we will have sag available. It is recommended that everyone have two lights: a. white head light, b. red flashing tail light (even foot category racers).
- Stay safe, stay warm, warn other trail users when passing, etc…
- Awards & cash will be given for first place in each category (categories TBD, but they will be something like [Male/Female], [Bike/Tandem/Ski/Foot], [Ultra Distance/Short] etc. ).
- Awards will take place at 10 PM on the 19th (same room)
- Cash: Numbered tickets will be given to all starters. Additional tickets will be issued to finishers. The better you finish the more tickets. We will then give away all race profits lottery style. Exactly the same as the Colesburg 40 Gravel Race. I estimate based on the number of “Yes” replies that I received that we will have about $600 to work with. However this could be much higher if you pass the word… race expenses will be kept to an absolute minimum, no profits to anybody (expenses include: event room, insurance, trail access fees, shuttle, sag, course markings, 6 pack of beer for the race director)
Send $40 per person to:
Triple D c/o
1735 Eden Lane
Dubuque, Iowa 52001-4027
Must be received by Jan 9th, roster will be updated daily.
Race Director Contact Information:
(800) 678-6565 ext 3166 (9-5 m-f)
Race updates at: http://savedbythebike.blogspot.com/
Grand Harbor Resort & Water Park
When reserving rooms: “Group rate for Dubuque to Dyersville Survival Race”
$129 per night, Includes:
Occupancy = 4 (Extra Occupancy & extra water park pass = $15)
Four Water Park Passes for two days
King Suite (includes pullout sleeper) or Two Doubles
Morning Buffet, microwave, refrigerator, etc.
350 Bell Street
Dubuque, IA 52001
563-690-4000 (in the Dubuque area)
866-690-4006 (toll free)